Thursday, March 20, 2014

Lenten Journey - Day 16 March 20 - grateful for my "older sis Mary"


1. Sharing heart felt thanks for my "older sis Mary". She is so beautiful with her red hair and was given my favorite girl name in all the world  'Mary'. I appreciate her so very much.
2. My sister Mary's heart is truly the size of Texas. She's one who has  inspired me to love more and give like I have plenty. Mary, like my Mom would help anyone at the drop of a hat...even stray cats and those little 'very chubby old dogs' that can't see too well...you know, the ones no-one wants.
3. Mary taught me how to make friends when I was a young mother, seemed that I was the only stay-home Mom in my neighborhood. Mary said 'just be friendly Patty'. She was right!
4. Thankful for Mary teaching me important things like how to sew on a button, fix my hair or make a big pot of spaghetti with meat sauce in my mom's iron Dutch oven with the wire handle. My sis took on a whole lot of responsibility at a young age...ALWAYS watching out for her brothers and sisters.
5. Thankful for those mornings when Mary applied my eye liner perfectly before I left for Junior High School.  Mary...is one of the most amazing artists I'll ever know and does some amazing art with her fancy color markers and fabric paint.
6. Grateful.... Mary's love for fragrant roses rubbed off on me.  Some evenings whiles visiting her in Oklahoma we would take long 'talk walks'. She knew exactly where roses were blooming in vacant lots and yards with vacant houses. The first time I saw the knife she was taking with us on our walk, I asked "Oh my... we don't need that for protection do we?" She said "No, you'll see". The rest of the story is that .... we didn't return empty handed. Mary wasn't going to let roses go to wastesI I found the picture (posted above) in my archive this morning with roses! Recently my sis was in the hospital and received 18 gorgeous long stemmed roses (red, pink and peach colored) and when she returned home she only had 3 left. You probably guessed it...she gave 15 of them away to brighten up 'someone else's day'. She had a good chuckle with 'Will you accept this rose?'
7. I am so thankful that Mary has shown me how to love is so easily, meeting people exactly where they are. I learned by watching her that one of the most valuable gifts anyone can give is a simple smile. Shows acceptance and everyone wants to feel accepted.
8. Thankful that my sister Mary was a protector me when I was very young. It wasn't too long ago that she told me of some of her memories.
9. I am so thankful that my 'older sis' Mary is one of my best friends in all the world and I don't know what I would without her.  She's always there for everyone! An amazing women, Sister, Wife, Friend, Mother, Mother in law, Aunt and all around sweet fun loving gal!
10.  I could go on and will go on and on sharing how I am thankful for both my 'little sis and older sis'...it's hard to end. One last important thing which I am grateful for - Mary said "Let your son dig holes in the back yard and 'YES' let him get dirty. (Our son was about 4 yrs old at the time). Mary was right.  He was outside all day long playing and when he came in from his play at sunset..he was wearing the biggest grin from ear to ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment