Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bible Study and the Sunset



This last Monday was the third Bible Study that I participated in. After three times, being in a group lead by another experienced leader, we facilitate the group. That means if I've counted right...next time! Do I believe I'm ready? Of course not! I do believe that I have the Word getting on the inside of me and that in itself is VERY reassuring. Christ and I are an overwhelming majority! True.


Our Bible study group was led by Jennifer, an awesome volunteer who I never met before this night. After an hour+ I felt as though she was an old friend. When a person shares their faith journey, they share the most intimate relationship there is. She was full of the Holy Spirit! She was really plugged in and even mentioned that she double checks that the ladies are here for the right reason. We visited at a great depth before the ladies arrived at the Chapel. She shared that she had written Oprah Winfrey a letter requesting help to fund a 'Home of Restoration' for ladies who leave the jail. A safe place for them to go to. Jennifer knows the truth about recovery, that it can be a new life with the environment and tools to move beyond the past...to a brighter future. It has everything to do with the right circumstances. She said unfortunately there has been no reply from Oprah and that it has been over two years. She shared too, she wasn't asking for any money directly and that she had all the paperwork in place. I'm guessing that she meant it would be a (not for profit) institution. She is determined that this is an answer to a big problem. What a great idea! I pray for the 'Home of Restoration' just as she shared she prays for every name written on slips of paper gathered into her prayer petitions.


I am amazed at what I am learning from the Volunteers and the inmates. I feel so inadequate...but I'm here, I'm learning and I must believe they know I care. If no one came...there would be nothing to build upon. On this night, there were about 4 -5 groups meeting in different locations.


During the study I noticed many of the ladies in Janet's group where up at the narrow windows peering out. The sunset was amazingly beautiful. Our group looked over but no-one got up and I truly believe that it was because one of the ladies was sharing something so deep, they didn't want to insult her. They were listening even more intently than I was.


At the end of our study, we held hands and prayed some mighty prayers. Again, one of the ladies thanked us volunteers for being there. A confirmation. After good byes and waves the room was again empty with only the three of us. I smiled at Janet and asked her what they thought about the beautiful sunset. She said one of the ladies hadn't seen a sunset for about nine months. It was so special! Both Janet and I got teary eyes and hugged.


"Thank you God for your gift of radiant sunsets and allowing us to visit and care for your children."


(The sunset photo was taken from my front porch tonight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment